Introducing Hookipa Ultra PE – by Challenge Sailcloth
Developed in conjunction with Challenge Sailcloth, this unique woven composite is the result of exhaustive development and testing, to nd the optimum balance between responsiveness, lightweight and long-term performance.
Traditional Ultra PE materials relied on a high percentage of films, coatings or glues to stabilize the material. The outcome of this was that these materials were strong, but either needed complicated seam constructions, had a limited amount of structural ber (for their given weight) or had inconsistent strength and distribution throughout the fabric.
Ho’okipa Ultra PE takes a reliable woven structure and supercharges the material through the use of Ultra PE instead of traditional polyester fabric.
The high amount of material in the composite that is structural, has allowed us to optimize all areas of the construction resulting in that beautiful blend of responsiveness, lightweight and durability.
Incredibly, the most high-performance fabric we have ever developed, comes with a reduced environmental impact, where Ho’okipa Ultra PE is made up of 48% recycled content by weight.
Understanding Ultra PE
• Ultra PE Fiber is a super-strong ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMwPE) ber that offers maximum strength with minimum weight.
• Ultra PE has extremely long molecular chains that transfer load more effectively. So it‘s stronger at the same weight or lighter at the same strength than alternatives. In a direct comparison to polyester, it is up to 32x Stronger.
• Ultra PE fiber is 15x stronger than steel at the same weight and 2x lighter than Carbon Fiber.
• As well as its extraordinary strength, Ultra PE excels in cut and abrasion resistance and has a high resistance to UV.
• Ultra PE fiber is so light that it floats on water.
• Stiff does not mean fragile, Ultra PE also has very high ductility – It can absorb a lot
of energy before it breaks.
Understanding the characteristics of this material is the key to the responsiveness of the NITRO, the process if inflation places a higher tension on the fabric and you feel that immediately. This does not stop at the strut and leading edge but is integrated into the canopy through the Ultra PE load frame.
*To move further down while using the 3D player, scroll down on the sides of the page
← Scroll sideways for more sizes →
|Model||3 sq. meter||4 sq. meter||5 sq. meter||6 sq. meter|
|Wing Span||258 cm||285 cm||316 cm||328 cm|
|Wing Range (Knots)||20+||16-32||12-26||8-20|
|Estimated Weight (No Window)||1.46 kg||1.67 kg||2.00 kg||2.30 kg|
|Estimated Weight (Window)||1.61 kg||1.82 kg||2.15 kg||2.45 kg|
|Recommended Inflating Pressure (PSI)||12||11||10||9|
*Wingspan is the measurement from wingtip to wingtip
FOR EVERY FREEWING SOLD
We plant a mangrove to absorb 1 ton of CO₂ over 20 years and collect 1.1kg of plastics from the oceans.
Live a deep blue life with us.